Will Misappropriated City Funds Be Returned ?

Ted Noftall
9:43 PM

to Hank, me, Greg, Bob, Dennis, don, Drew, Mayor
Hank,
Even by Port Orange snafu standards I believe 2 watersheds were  crossed at last evenings Council meeting.

• The Auditor from CRI who conducted the payroll fraud investigation stated that she was unable to find legislative authorization for the special ICMA  payments the City has been making  for select employees,   and
  • The Manager announced that legislative authorization does not exist for some or all of the sick and or vacation buy backs that have been made for the past year or more.

If  these statements are true then taxpayers in Port Orange have been defrauded well in excess of a million dollars.

Two things need to happen
First  taxpayers should no longer be taxed for these programs in the annual budget, and not  one thin dime more of these payments should be made  UNLESS and UNTIL Council authorizes these programs through enabling Ordinances.
Secondly those employees who received those un-authorized payments,  including the former City Manager who was their largest recipient,   should be called upon to return those payments.
Hank you have had a cordial relationship with the former Manager and I am wondering if you would call upon  him to see if he is amenable to returning those un-authorized  payments he received from the taxpayers of Port Orange.
Ted Noftall

Hank Springer
11:20 PM

to Ted, me, Greg, Bob, Dennis, don, Drew, Mayor

Hank to Ted,
 Ted, I will give it a try, but the issues involved are greater than any cordial relationship Mr. Parker and I might have had.
 I would be delighted  to speak to Mr. Parker and  keep our conversation off the record.
There are two sides to every story, and I get a hint id and I sense  a story that involves loyalty to friends and coworkers, despite organizational and professional concerns. Mr.  Parker attended a Baptist university where the study of philosophy as a major was mandated, as it was for me in a Jesuit University.  It is difficult to come from 4 years o fa philosophy training in a university, without it having an effect on one’s principles and purpose in life.  I sense that in Mr. Parker  the mistakes or risks Mr. Parker made or took  probably have a humanistic theme to them, not withstanding that they are probably not permitted by institutional integrity or perhaps law.
 In Mr. Parker’s new career as a professor of city management courses, Mr. Parker is well equipped to give his students insights into the problems and complexities of a city manager’s position.  Perhaps he will share with me some of the lessons he has learned, and I would guess he would be happy with me not sharing what I might learn with the public.  Mr. Parker is still under the gun and anything he publicly says would probably be contested and criticized by some or many.
 I will give it a try, and would be honored if Mr. Parker would consent to have a dialogue with me.
 — Hank springer

bag-of-money

5 thoughts on “Will Misappropriated City Funds Be Returned ?

• July 18, 2013 at 9:20 pm

Ted and Hank, please tell me if you will include Councilman Ford in returning funds? He received payments for sick leave when he retired. How far back are you going to go? Are you going after Drew as well? This is not something that is brand new to the city it has been going on for years. Any vote to have action taken against Parker or anyone else should include the 2 councilman that received money for sick leave as well. I’m sure neither of you will ask for that action but you if you go after one you go after all.

• July 19, 2013 at 8:39 am

Note: to Mr or Ms Interested:
    I think the issue is: About 2 years ago, due to the poor economy the city council took action to cancel the payout program for unused Sick Leave payments to city employees.
    At some point after that, Mr Parker restarted that payout program without any legislative authorization or input by the City Council (the governing body). Thus, any reimbursement should only apply for the last year or two. Perhaps we can recover that money from the insurance or surety bond that we may have for monetary losses caused by the misconduct of a public official. And let the surety company pursue the players involved.

• July 19, 2013 at 10:10 am

Hank to “interested”.
    I guess Pat has answered your question about how far back the issue goes.
    As far as I am concerned, if Drew or Bob should have to pay back any money, I would not shy from asking them to do that. It might interest you to know, that I have voiced my disappointment with Mr. Ford concerning two aspects of his council activities:
    1. I did not agree with his voting against approving proposition 11, and I have told him that I am going to hold him to that standard of money dispersal in other areas where financial help or
    waiver of certain fees might arise. That includes the YMCA, boy scouts, golf course, or his interest in revitalizing the Ridgewood ave. The people in the State of Florida voted their approval that elderly, senior citizens, who are indigent, be afforded financial help. Mr. Ford said no to that proposal for Port Orangs, and I will hold him to that fiscal standard for practically all other financial considerations which will come before him.
    2. I am tired of Mr. Ford complaining that all the things that are wrong have to be sometime in the future considered by the city council to take action. I want him to stipulate now, what action he thinks should be taken to rectify what he knows is wrong. I have written my opinion about these two issue I have with Mr. Ford on my web site http://www.port-orange.info
    a. Regarding Mr. Bastian, I have written that I will be watching to see that Drew is fair with the public when fire department issues come up in the city council. I am watching Mr. Bastian’s comments and votes in the city council, and am not happy that he voted against approval for proposition 11.
    3. I will be meeting with Mr. Parker sometime in the near future, and we will have a one on one dialogue in which I hope to learn some thoughts of his on general issues and problems, which will be off the record, except for any thoughts of his which he might like me to repeat on my web site. I hold one exception in regards to our talk being off the record, and that exception is to ask Mr. Parker if he feels that he has some money to pay back to the city of Port Orange. Perhaps he will answer that one question, and go on record with me with his answer. Otherwise, in my general discussion with Mr. Parker, which I hope to restrict to what and how he is doing in his retirement months, and his philosophical thoughts about national and Port Orange issues, I think Mr. Parker and I can speak to some of those issues, without going into detail. Mr. Parker has expressed to me that he has admitted that many of the problems we have discovered in Port Orange City Government, were his responsibility, and he takes responsibility for them, understanding that he had trusted his administrative supervisors and staff to carry out their duties. I think Mr. Parker and I can discuss some general aspects of our local and national policies, without going into details, and such a frame work of discussion will be very beneficial and provide me with valuable insight.
    4. — hank springer

• July 19, 2013 at 12:01 pm

Hank, there is some misinformation circulating about sick and vacation leave payouts. I finally secured from the City Clerk the 2010 changes to City Civil Service rules. These changes basically capped how much sick and vacation time that could be accrued and eliminated the yearly sick leave and vacation buy back program. This civil service change, however, did not eliminate the vacation and sick leave for individuals retiring or resigning from Port Orange service. Mr. Parker received his payout in accordance with the civil services rules.

• July 19, 2013 at 10:48 am

Messages:
    Please keep in mind that a few years ago, when the economy was at its worst, the city asked all the employees to forgo the sick leave and vacation leave pay out program. The PBA agreed to not seek vacation/sick leave pay outs, the general employees union agreed to not seek vacation/sick leave pay outs, and the non union employees agreed to not seek vacation/ sick leave pay outs. Only one group of employees refused to cooperate with the city. That was the fire union. I believe our current District 3 Councilman was a part of the negotiation team at that time.