Students hospitalized after eating vitamin candy


Daytona Beach, Fla. — Two  middle-school students are recovering Wednesday afternoon after consuming a vitamin candy at school and had to be hospitalized.

School officials said a classmate of the two at David C. Hinson Senior Middle School gave them a German vitamin candy called Nimm 2.

According to officials,     shortly after eating the candy the two students complained about rapid heart rates.

The candy’s packaging indicates that it contains vitamins. It is marketed with a child on the bag.

School officials said they are going to take a closer look at the vitamin candy before deciding whether to take disciplinary action against the student who brought it to this school.

They are warning children not to bring candy to school to give to other students.

“I teach my girls not to take any candy from any kids, because we don’t know what kind of candy, if it’s laced, if it’s anything available,” said parent Sherif Saad.

Officials say they initially thought the two girls had taken weight-loss pills, but later learned it was the candy.

Nimm 2’s website shows pictures of children and claims to be one of the most well-known candies in Germany.

“When the students came to the clinic the school nurse saw them and their heart rates were elevated and so that’s when we called the paramedics,” said Nancy Wait of Volusia County Schools.

Officials said the mother of the boy who brought the candy speaks German and they believe the candy is common. The school did not report any other children who ate it or became ill.

Officials said they don’t have a condition on the students. They said the girls were taken to the hospital as a precaution.

They also said notes will be going home with children to remind them to never take candy from others.

via Volusia students hospitalized after eating vitamin candy

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.