"Thanks, but no thanks Greg. I am just not into secret meetings."

cory
From: REALTORCOR@aol.com
To: gkisela@port-orange.org
CC: citycouncil@port-orange.org, poimages@outlook.com
BCC: ted@tednoftall.com
Sent: 12/29/2013 4:26:19 P.M. Eastern Standard Time
Subj: Re: Not Receiving all information
Thanks,  but no thanks Greg.   I am just not into secret meetings.
The only information that may be kept from the public  is that which is Shade protected by state statute,  and that certainly does not include your staffs neglect or incompetence and your failure to take any meaningful  action .
And further to the point when did deciding what information will be released and to whom become your decision and not Councils.
Unlike my opponent Councilman Burnette I believe in transparency   and open government and will look most unfavorably on a Manager who attempts to foil that basic principle.
Accordingly I would call upon my opponent to explain his decision to receive information in a private  conversation with you,  regarding multiple disclosures of sensitive employee information to persons unknown,    and then say nothing about it.
Corey Berman
Candidate for Port Orange Council

In a message dated 12/28/2013 6:26:33 P.M. Eastern Standard Time, gkisela@port-orange.org writes:
GregKisela
Corey: I suggest you and I sit down so I can explain to you what information I will be providing candidates such as yourself  so we don’t have any misunderstanding. Please call my office to arrange a convenient time. Thanks.
Greg Kisela
City Manager
Sent from my iPhone

On Dec 28, 2013, at 10:52 AM, “REALTORCOR@aol.com<mailto:REALTORCOR@aol.com>” <REALTORCOR@aol.com<mailto:REALTORCOR@aol.com>> wrote:
cory
Greg I am very disappointed in the lack of communication from you that is going to the council members.  You know I have placed this request as I am running for city council and need to be apprised of all situations you are telling current council members of so I am informed.  I saw the issues with the DOT, the security breach and the IT licensing issues.  I expect a full report on each of these so I am brought up to speed.  Who was the employee that caused the security breech and how are they being reprimanded?  There is transparency in this city that resembles electrical tape.  I really think you need to look at the management of this city or lack there of.  It is time to make people accountable and for major issues like this termination for just cause is advisable since this is placing the city in jeopardy.
Corey Berman
Candidate Zone 2 City Commission

10 thoughts on “"Thanks, but no thanks Greg. I am just not into secret meetings."

• December 30, 2013 at 9:11 am

Corey,
    Here is my question for you… Just because you are running for City council you HAVE to be informed of everything? Are you doing this because you are a citizen of the city of or because you are running for council? Where did you hear that you are supposed to be brought up to speed? See when you use words like “so I am informed” but give no information as to who told you this information it leads me to believe that you are no better than the council you are railing against. Please tell me that you are better than that? I love the No thanks I don’t do secret meetings comment but your email to Greg leads me to believe that you are doing the same thing. Please come out and tell everyone where you found the information that says you are entitled to be given the same information that council receives. I am for open government but I also want to know where you get the information that you are to be given the same things that Council does.
    Also please keep your political ambitions out of emails to the city!!! That is not the proper place to peddle your logic. That is out on the streets where people get to meet you and speak to you not in an email degrading your opponent who is already on council, giving yourself free advertising under the “Open Email” law. That makes you seem small, if you are truly the candidate of change then be a change agent not someone who at every chance they get degrades the Manager, and council. That does not make me want to vote for you it makes me question your true motives and what kind of leader you will truly be!

• December 30, 2013 at 9:19 am

Let me set something straight, going back to the email again I made a mistake… Corey never said that he was informed that he was to be told everything that council knows. It was part of a sentence that I missed a coma. Yes I am able to admit when I read something wrong. I still would like to know why he is entitled to know everything that council knows… Is that part of the Sunshine law where all candidates are given the same information? I am concerned about this election that everyone involved will forget that they represent the “ENTIRE” city not just their small beliefs. When elected you are called to make the choice for the good of the city not just what you believe and sometime that means compromise. Corey are you capable of looking at the whole picture and making choices that are in the best for the city? Are you willing to compromise with others to make the city better or are you going to be Ted’s lackey? Are you going to vote like Ted wants you too? See I believe that you are running because Ted can’t win and he needs someone on the council that will do his bidding. I might be wrong and I am hoping that I am but if you win people are looking for a leader not someone who is negative all the time. Not sure you can do that when everything you write is negative.
      Looking forward to hearing more from you on what your plans are to change the culture of this city, and please remember that negativity in politics might get you elected but once elected can you govern for the city and not just your small part of the world.

• December 30, 2013 at 10:35 pm

The premise is correct from both of the aforementioned readers. A council member does, or is supposed to, represent all 56,000 residents of the city? Let’s face some realities here. Who, or where, are the political organizations in the city of Port Orange? There is only one group, the public safety unions. Let me state again for the record that both groups, police and fire, serve our citizens well. That is not the issue. The issue is that we have 2 current council members who are former members of those groups. Councilmember Ford was a former Police Chief, an upper management position and technically not a union guy. Councilman Bastain was a union guy and a former member of the negotiating team for the fire union during the last IAFF contract that dragged out for 3-4 years and went to court numerous times. With major help from that union and from other unions across the state he was elected to council. Who will he be representing during the next union contract due this coming year, the fire union or the 56,000 residents? Will he recuse himself from that process? On top of that we have another former policeman, union member, who will be running for the District 4 council seat next Year. He will receive all the support he needs from the local and state unions. Who will he be representing should he win that council seat? The union members who worked for his election or the 56,000 residents? Three former public safety officers on the council does not sound like a fair deal for the 56,000 residents who pay their salaries and generous benefits.
    So the question from above is an excellent question, exactly who will Corey Berman represent? You know he will get the support from the unions because he is seen as “sympathetic to their cause”. The unions like him because he makes the council members uncomfortable. The unions want their people on council. He will not represent the 56,000 citizens because he will be incapable of voting as a independent. One comment from above stated that he might become a “Ted lackey”. I totally reject that. Ted is a fiscal conservative who asks pertinent financial questions, somewhat brashly, but for the most part not doing so for himself. Ted is an individual. Corey will be far worse, he will be a union lackey because that is where he has an audience. The unions are where Corey will go to get his support. Of course Corey has no clue on how to act professionally at a council meeting. He says insulting things to the mayor and other council members and then looks around for approval from those in the attendance thinking he is funny. I know, I have seen that many times.
    I have to believe the city of Port Orange has professional residents willing to step up and declare their candidacy for a council seat. We need some new blood, please someone new declare. If we elect what we see now the 56,000 residents are in for a wild ride and it won’t be pretty for our taxes.
    And that’s my opinion. Stay positive my friends.
    Bob Pohlmann

• December 30, 2013 at 10:53 pm

Bob, a lot of what you wrote in your comment I agree with. I am glad you see that a council man’s background , business ties and acquaintances should be accounted for . We should keep in mind when reviewing decisions by Allen Green that he has been in the Construction business. You mentioned well Bob Ford and Drew Bastion. I have already have had some in depth dialogue with the home loan representative, Don Burnette. Dennis Kennedy has a position in Halifax Hospital. No one can come to sit on the city council without past ties, and it is wise to watch that they foremost represent the citizens of Port Orange and not their past ties.
    — hank springer

• December 31, 2013 at 4:11 pm

First let me say if I am wrong about Corey then I am sorry, I judged him based on his writings on this site, and that he seems to take similar positions as Ted does. The one thing that I want to see is that the emails that come from Corey to any City of Port Orange employee shouldn’t include any challenge to his opponent, or digs as to what he will do different from his opponent. That is something for him to do as he is walking the streets talking to the people that will vote for him!
    I am already starting to become ugly and when it gets ugly the city loses. I have not watched Corey on TV before if he is as bad as Bob says then I am not sure he is able to lead by example. I am looking for someone who is not trying to embarrass someone but trying to lead by example. I will be watching to see what will happen!

• January 1, 2014 at 12:28 am

I do not agree with “Interested” where he wrote: “The one thing that I want to see is that the emails that come from Corey to any City of Port Orange employee shouldn’t include any challenge to his opponent, or digs as to what he will do different from his opponent. That is something for him to do as he is walking the streets talking to the people that will vote for him!”
      That might be “Interested’s” preference and dislike, and he is entitled to them, but Corey can damn well write whatever he wants if he stands by his statements when he e mails a City official. — Hank springer

• December 31, 2013 at 7:36 pm

Dear Interested,
    Am beginning to detect those tell tale signs of being a hypocrite ? .
    You profess to be offended by negativity in politics and then attack Corey and myself personally with negative disparaging comments like ‘lackey’ without ever naming, much less offering your alternatives to positions or arguments with which you object mightily.
    I recognize the need to be able publish anonymously and support that concept wholeheartedly. In fact I have argued for web masters like Pat and Hank to print all comments received. People working in sensitive positions, like those working at the City, where retaliation could reasonably be expected, either write anonymously or society is ever the poorer from not hearing their ideas.
    So realizing that ad hominem attacks are not ideas, what ideas are you advancing or objecting to beyond:
    *) Corey and I guess by extension everyone else should not have as much information as our public servants, which needs some explaining to me as to why, AND
    *) Corey should not be using public e-mails to offer his positions and otherwise heighten his name recognition, to which again I would have to ask why as this could only serve to better inform the people …. would it not.
    Ted Noftall

• January 1, 2014 at 1:25 pm

Ted,
    Thanks for your response you are correct when I judged someone based on their writings. So you are correct in that case I m a hypocrite. Here are the questions I asked and once again you love to make it out to be something it is not.
    My statement was based on the request from Corey that he be brought up to speed. Is this as a citizen or is he entitle to be given information because he is running for office I even mentioned that in my first post.
    I believe that the statement
    Is uncalled for and low but he is able to do what he wants, and that is his right just as it is my right to believe that it is not something that should be done to a City employee. If he wants me to vote for him calling out a sitting councilman through an email to the city manager is not really what I call honorable. If that email was sent straight to Don then I would feel like at least he is writing it to the person.
    Let me ask you this question if Don had written this email as a sitting councilman, would you be giving him the same pass that you are giving Corey?
    Thanks for pointing out that I judged someone wrongly and to Corey I apologize for that.

• January 1, 2014 at 5:19 pm

Dear Interested,
    I will try and address your comments as they are listed. If I have missed or misunderstood any let me know
    *) Did I really make your comments ‘out to be something they are not‘ or did I take them literally ? If you believe it was the former that was not my intent and I do apologize. My intent was the latter.
    *) As I understand it we ( you me Corey the Mayor, Manager and everyone else) are all entitled to the exact same information with the narrow exception of that information that is exempt from Freedom of Information/ Sunshine by statute. So I would support Corey or anyone else requesting any or all the information they want any time they want.
    *) You do not believe Corey should have spoken to Burnette as he did or in the medium that he did.
    “ Unlike my opponent Councilman Burnette I believe in transparency and open government and will look most unfavorably on a Manager who attempts to foil that basic principle. I intend to offer the citizens of Port Orange a real choice in the upcoming election. Accordingly I would call upon my opponent to explain his decision to receive information in a private conversation with you, regarding multiple disclosures of sensitive employee information to persons unknown, and then say nothing about it.”
    You have every right to take offense, JUST as others have every right to take comfort in knowing that our 1st Amendment right to free speech and in particular political speech is alive and well, AND others have every right to just take delight in the sport of the comments themselves.
    For me the great object is to inform and hopefully interest citizens in the actions of their government, as I hope this exchange is doing now.
    *) “ Let me ask you this question — if Don had written this email as a sitting councilman, would you be giving him the same pass that you are giving Corey? “
    I am not if your are asking if …. Don was writing Corey, OR if Don was writing to the Manager ??
    To me it doesn’t matter. I object to secrecy in our City government because secrecy rarely benefits the people.
    As such I would prefer that all communications to and from public employees and to and from elected officials from any source be made public from the get go because ultimately and in the end it is all available under FOI with again those limited exceptions as provided by statute.
    Ted Noftall

• January 2, 2014 at 11:00 am

Ted,
    Thanks for the response and I agree with you that Corey has every right to speak his mind which he has done on several occasions, I just do not like the way he communicated his feelings. The good thing is that there is an election and I am sure that we will come to see what each candidate stands for and how they will want to serve the Citizens of this city. One thing I know is that it is very easy to be a candidate but very hard to be elected and actually have to govern. We have seen that time and time again in our system.