Deltona firefighter facing additional rape charges

DELTONA, Fla. —A Deltona firefighter who is accused of raping a woman he met at a furniture store now faces additional charges because authorities said more victims came forward.
Terry Freeman, 32, was originally arrested Dec. 31, but was rearrested when three more victims told investigators about other incidents.
Sheriff’s Office deputies have filed new charges in those three cases, bringing his total number of rape charges to four.
In addition, a 2011 case involving Freeman and an 18-year-old girl has been reopened by Orange City police. That victim said Freeman raped her but later recanted and the case was closed.
Sheriff’s deputies are concerned there are even more victims who have yet to report a crime.
“He definitely used his position as a firefighter to gain women’s trust — at least in one of the cases and, I guess, he’s a young, good looking guy that women thought they could trust,” said Volusia County Sheriff’s Office Investigator John Brady.
Last month, officials said Freeman met the woman at a Hudson’s furniture store in Sanford while shopping for a mattress and later called the store to give the woman his cellphone number.
The arrest report stated the two met for drinks at the Red Roof Cafe before returning to his Orange City home.
Volusia County sheriff’s investigators say Freeman raped the victim at his home, choking her during the assault.
Freeman claimed he had a sexual encounter with the victim, but denies raping her.
He was in the process of bonding out on the first charged on Thursday morning when the new charges were brought against him.
Investigators said the cases share similarities — Freeman met the woman at their place of business, took them on a date then back to his home, where deputies said he attacked them.
“For those women who were receptive to his advances, it turned out to be an absolute nightmare,” said Sheriff’s Office Spokeswoman Gary Davidson. “These are innocent women, innocent victims that did not deserve to be attacked.”
The women who waited to come forward until after Freeman’s arrest said they felt ashamed, embarrassed and just wanted to forget about the attacks.
Freeman is still employed with the city of Deltona, pending the outcome of the first criminal case. He been a firefighter with the city for two years, officials said.
It was not known if the additional charges would affect his employment status.
via Deltona firefighter facing additional rape charges

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.