Money8
From: Anderson, Mary
Sent: Wednesday, January 15, 2014 3:39 PM
To: ‘scott@tuffturflandscaping.com’
Subject: RE: Spraying and Fertilizing Medians
Good afternoon, Scott,
I apologize for not responding to you yesterday, but we were dealing with two project start-ups and I was out of the office for much of the day.
In response to your request for information on spraying and fertilizing the medians, Public Works followed the City purchasing policy for purchases that are more than $5000 but less than $25,000. Under this scenario, the department making the purchase is required to have at least 3 written quotes for the purchase. Typically the low bidder is selected for the purchase, and that is what Public Works selected here.
Quotes were sought from Massey, who was the low bid at $11,000 (the $400 difference from the number I gave to the City Manager is a reduction offered for payment in advance); Dave’s at $12,500 and Orkin at $20,600 (Orkin also offered a discount for payment up front). The firms we sought quotes from were selected on the basis of being large enough to handle the medians that we are attempting to salvage for a future improvement project.
If you have further questions, please don’t hesitate to call or email me. Thank you.
Regards,
Mary
Mary J. Anderson, PWLF
Public Works Director
City of Port Orange
mjanderson@port-orange.org
386-506-5590

From: scott@tuffturflandscaping.com [mailto:scott@tuffturflandscaping.com]
Sent: Wednesday, January 15, 2014 1:08 PM
To: Kisela, Greg
Cc: scott@tuffturflandscaping.com; Anderson, Mary; Ford, Bob; Green, Allen; Bastian, Drew; Burnette, Don
Subject: RE: Spraying and Fertilizing Medians
Greg,
FYI, I still have not received the info from Mary Anderson yet on the three estimates, however I wanted to share with you something that may save the City some money.
I have a hard copy of a price estimate from Scott’s Lawnservice for spraying and fertilizing the Dunlawton medians from Ridgewood to I-95, including the triangle interchange areas at I-95 and Dunlawton. We had them look at the area previously in hopes that the City would start again taking better care of the medians and properly spraying and fertilizing them. The estimate includes 6 bi-monthly services fertilization, insect control and pre-emergent weed control. The total was $6,751.06. I have spoken with the rep for Scott’s and found out that price is still valid.
It appears that their price is about 35% cheaper than the $10,200 from Massey that you mentioned in your email to the council. Hope maybe this helps to save the City some money. I can fax over to your office the estimate if you would like. (Maybe the nearly $3,500 in savings could go towards some new landscaping in the Dunlawton medians.)
Hope this helps!
Scott
—————————- Original Message —————————-
Subject: RE: Spraying and Fertilizing Medians
From: “Kisela, Greg” <gkisela@port-orange.org>
Date: Mon, January 13, 2014 5:18 pm
To: “scott@tuffturflandscaping.com” <scott@tuffturflandscaping.com>
Cc: “Anderson, Mary” <mjanderson@port-orange.org>
————————————————————————–

> Scott: By copy of this e-mail I am asking Mary Anderson to provide you the answers to your questions. I know we received three (3) quotes and the low quote was Massey.
> Greg Kisela
> City Manager
From: scott@tuffturflandscaping.com [mailto:scott@tuffturflandscaping.com]
> Sent: Monday, January 13, 2014 3:45 PM
> To: Kisela, Greg
> Subject: Spraying and Fertilizing Medians
> Mr. Kisela,
> Ref: Email you sent to council regarding spraying and fertilizing of medians on Dunlawton.
> I am very glad to see that the see will begin having the medians on Dunlawton professionally sprayed and fertilized to improve the current appearance. Can you advise what companies were selected to provide quotes for the service and what their prices were? Also, how were the companies selected to solicit quotes from?
> Thanks,
> Scott

3 thoughts on “Scott's Lawnservice is a Major Vendor Countrywide, Why did DPW skip them and pay $5000 extra? What's going on in DPW? Another Oops?

• January 16, 2014 at 9:28 am

Mary,
    Thanks for the information on the quotes. What was the calculated square footage of grass that the vendors were asked provide a quote on? I know the boundaries, but I am curious how many square feet the City is looking to be serviced. Very suprised that there was such a wide difference in cost estimates provided.
    I was surprised to see that Orkin was selected as one of the choices to give a price quote. To be honest I didn’t even know they did lawn services. There is no information about them providing lawn services or fertilization on their national web site. When I called their national office I was told that most of their offices do not provide any lawn care services and that only a few of their franchise locations do that on their own. It doesn’t seem as though lawn services is actually their specialty and clearly they aren’t very price competitive based on the numbers you have.
    Anyhow, the contact information for Scott’s Lawnservice if you are interested is Charlie Arvai cell 317-507-7607. Also, I am almost certain that his price of $6,751.06 included the medians on the causeway and all the way out to the Wendy’s near Westport Plaza.
    Also, I notice a lot of palm trees have been marked near the Dunlawton / I-95 interchange area. Are you guys taking bids or collecting estimates to have those trimmed and cleaned out? Sure hope so. That is very much needed!
    Scott

• January 16, 2014 at 11:13 am

Greg
    Is the contract signed? It seems the figure Scott Stiltner has shows significant savings if the scope of work is the same…see below.
    Thanks,
    Don
    Don Burnette, mba
    Vice Mayor, City of Port Orange

• January 16, 2014 at 11:15 am

Yes, the PO has been issued for this work.
    Mary