"Dennis, Seems like you are still not getting it"

ted0From: Ted Noftall [mailto:Ted@TedNoftall.com]
Sent: Saturday, August 09, 2014 12:22 PM
To: Dennis Kennedy (dkennedy@port-orange.org)
Cc: ‘Lewis, Shannon’; ‘Fenwick, Robin’

Subject: FW: Dear Dennis

Dennis,

Seems like you are still not getting it.  There wasn’t going to be any further discussion  –  at least not of a balanced and  meaningful nature.   The intent was to have me and perhaps one or two others in attendance respond in a most un-prepared fashion relative to the coordinated attack of Burnette &  Laney  and then rely on the predictable  Green, Kennedy, Burnette cadre  to vote me off the 2 City Boards.   That was the intent and it has blown up in your faces.

Descriptors such as “ Detrimental ” and “ Beneficial ” only take on a debate context assuming the underlying action they are describing have precipitated a fundamental change in something. For example the dissent of the guy who complains about not being able to walk at the City Golf course is neither detrimental or beneficial because thus far at least it has changed nothing.

In This Instance however the peaceful and mannerly citizen dissent of myself and others that take up no more that 10 – 20 minutes at each meeting have fundamentally “ changed “ Port Orange government, AND for that to have happened something dreadfully incompetent and deceitful in how Port Orange has been managed must have been right below the surface of some very thin ice. Otherwise the veneer would not have cracked as wide open as it has, as quick as it has, and with such little pressure.

Now we come to the eye of the beholder and I am not surprised that you consider my “actions” to have been detrimental, BECAUSE they have been ….. to your dismal performance on Council.

You have sat up there for years and not once to my knowledge have you insisted in any meaningful manner that 2 different Managers ever be held to any standard of responsibility or accountability for their own performance or that of their staff. Nor can you plead ignorance for your nonfeasant in-action, BECAUSE you have received troubling information of lax to non-existent internal controls going back to at least 2006 with the HR Doctor’s report and the principled resignation of the then IT Director Tom Fitzgerald. The audit comments of every Internal and Year end Auditor from then to now have detailed one internal control deficiency after another, AND THROUGH all of those disclosures what meaningful action did you ever insist the Manager undertake to safeguard taxpayer interests ??

BTW Council’s failure to insist that the Manager implement meaningful personnel and internal control changes in Finance and IT in 2006 was the direct and proximate cause of the water billing fiasco that cost taxpayers $ millions and that came to light in 2012. But what the hey you were playing nice, no fus no mus ….. defiantly no dissent.

You are mistaken in your opinion that I am not working to better Port Orange government. I am doing that exact thing by advocating for accountability, responsibility and transparency in an effort to eliminate the waste and incompetence that have sadly become Port Orange government’s trademark. Gone will be the Mayor’s back room developer deals that have given us the wasted millions on Gamble, Dock to No-Where, Riverwalk, Well Fields, and the cluster …. you know what that Dunlawton has become compliments of an obfuscating Mayor and his pocket vote councilmen.

You know I’ll bet the majority of Volusians are thinking right about now that if Halifax Health had received citizen activist oversight similar to that in Port Orange, taxpayers might not be out the near $150 million recently spent defending the incompetent management practices of the hospital.

As for you insight into the election process remember two things. You were elected in 2010 with 50.1 % of the vote meaning that 49.9 % of voters wanted you replaced 4 years ago, AND YOU ARE NOT seeking re-election this time because you know the same result would await you as befell Bob P in his bid to seek re-election in 2012.

Ted Noftall

—–Original Message—–
council_kennedyFrom: Kennedy, Dennis [mailto:DennisK@port-orange.org]
Sent: Saturday, August 09, 2014 7:30 AM
To: Ted Noftall
Cc: Kennedy, Dennis; Lewis, Shannon; City Council; Roberts, Margaret
Subject: Re: Dear Dennis

Ted,

As I am sure you already know there are vast differences between you and me. I had a great deal of respect for you in the past because I was impressed with your abilities and knowledge but I strongly disagree with your methods of implementing them. When Don made his speech the other night by the time that he finished I had heard enough to know I that I agreed and knew that we needed further discussion. I feel that your actions have been detrimental to the city of Port Orange for too long. I have had literally dozens of citizens call or stop me to talk and ask why we have allowed you to continue, what they feel, is an effort to destroy the city. I had a caller today who told me that he was sick of the way that you and your “band of supporters” seem to highjack the council every week and he wanted to know how to stop this from happening. He felt it was disruptive and wasting the council’s time, that we should get back to the job at hand, running the city and as he put it undoing the damage that has already been caused. I have to agree that we have spent far too much time and effort working to undo the damage that has been done.

I should remind you sir that you gave the citizens of Port Orange the opportunity to elect you to council, something they choose overwhelmingly not to do. I on the other hand won my election and was subsequently re-elected not once but twice…obviously I was doing something that the citizens approved of. You may judge your views and ideals against that standard.

Again, I am saddened by your continued actions and wish that you could put your passion to work trying to better the city rather than tear it down. You could be a strong force for change if you could only learn to work with people instead of bullying them in an effort to get them to do or see things your way.

Dennis Kennedy

Sent from my iPad

7 thoughts on “"Dennis, Seems like you are still not getting it"

• August 9, 2014 at 4:41 pm

Dennis, may I make a suggestion? Grab a cold beer sit down in front of your computer and watch and critic the videos of all of the last council meetings….go back and look them all over.
    Then please comment to me as to what you feel you as a council member contributed towards correcting any of the many, many problems that have cropped up within our city and were brought to your attention. I honestly want to know what you believe you contributed.
    Insofar as citizen comments, each person is allowed 3 minutes and only 15 total minutes are set aside at each meeting. Many who come before you bring B/S business to the dias news of festivals and silly personal complaints. Very few have valid questions about city business they want answered and in most cases are shut down and don’t even get their full 3 minutes in.
    So once again please explain yourself? I’m listening.
    P.S. If you have the figures please tell me how many of the 60,000 Port Orange residents actually get out and vote for councilmen? Any idea? My feeling is that damn few pay any attention to local voting until something hits them in the face.

• August 9, 2014 at 4:53 pm

In the past I think mostly friends of city hall and (financial) special interests who have lobbied city council people comprised most of the voters in a city election. But now we have a new group of special interests (dissenters) which will probably vote for candidates who look like they are willing to get accountability and reform in city government. This will be interesting and I bet Mayor Green blames this all on Ted Noftall. In my opinion, it is not only Ted, but how Green and his cohorts failed to wisely respond to Ted’s complaints, observations, and revelations.

• August 9, 2014 at 5:09 pm

Yep keep up the “tit for tat” back and forth bickering and one upmanship. (Ted and Dennis)
    It really benefits all the fine citizens. Thanks for your service Mr. Kennedy. You have solved tons of small town issues but never attacked the tough ones head on. You brought your rubber stamp to all the meetings and always voted in conjunction with others.
    You would earn respect and improve your legacy if turning over the reigns of District 4 as soon as your successor is elected. This newly elected individual will have a large say in the future of our city. I write this as a sincere suggestion not a vengeful one.

• August 9, 2014 at 8:16 pm

From: Ted Noftall [mailto:Ted@TedNoftall.com]
    Sent: Saturday, August 09, 2014 8:15 PM
    To: Dennis Kennedy (dkennedy@port-orange.org)
    Subject: FW: Dear Dennis
    Dennis,
    You are still missing the point. “It is not that my opinion is the only one that matters at least to me “ Rather it is a case of my belief that any time a dialogue is able to be placed before the people for their consideration and adjudication, society as a whole benefits.
    I am sorry you do not believe your participation to be worth the effort. I do thank you for the positions you advanced for the public’s consideration, And cannot help but wonder if we had such frank discussions more often that we would all be better off.
    Ted Noftall
    *********************************
    —–Original Message—–
    From: Kennedy, Dennis [mailto:DennisK@port-orange.org]
    Sent: Saturday, August 09, 2014 4:24 PM
    To: Ted Noftall; City Council; Roberts, Margaret
    Cc: Kennedy, Dennis; Lewis, Shannon; Fenwick, Robin
    Subject: Re: Dear Dennis
    Ted,
    I just can’t continue this dialog, you obviously have your opinion and we all know that it is the only one that matters…at least to you. Thank you for your observations and your input.
    Dennis Kennedy
    Sent from my iPad

• August 9, 2014 at 9:27 pm

Ted,
    What a mean spirited individual. “Bully?”
    You could do a lot of good but it seems you like to beat people up.

• August 9, 2014 at 11:20 pm

A total of 7,502 people voted in the 2010 District 4 election. 3,835 of those people voted for Dennis Kennedy. As of 2010 census there were 56,048 residents in Port Orange. So Mr Kennedy was elected by a rounded up .07% of the total population.
    Now it needs to be understood that there are kids, non voters, and maybe a few felons in that total population so in an effort to be fair I polled each of those groups. Amongst kids Mr Kennedy polled at .025% favorable but I must say some of those kids thought I was talking about Ted Kennedy, John F Kennedy and those kennedys that run the race track..So Dennis Kennedy may actually be polling lower then the posted .025%.
    Amongst non voters Mr Kennedy polled at .06%, in line with actual election results.
    Amongst felons Mr Kennedy polled at 46%. So that group really likes the guy.. A few mentioned something about “street cred?” Not sure what that means.
    And I took the time to poll actual Kennedys… D Kennedy polled at .0125%.. With the margin of error this could be considered a statistical zero.
    Disclaimer: except for the first paragraph9which is accurate) this post is meant for entertainment purposes only and should not be considered true or accurate polling data. Over use of this post might cause the following; chest pain, headaches, uncontrollable bleeding, double vision, feelings of grandure, feeling of impending doom, feeling like feeling something, feelings of discomfort and hot dog fingers.

• August 10, 2014 at 4:39 pm