Do I have a right to blog anonymously?

Yes;  You have a right to blog anonymously?

.anonymous_surfing
Yes. The Supreme Court has repeatedly upheld the First Amendment right to speak anonymously: “author is generally free to decide whether or not to disclose his or her true identity.
The decision in favor of anonymity may be motivated by fear of economic or official retaliation, by concern about social ostracism, or merely by a desire to preserve as much of one’s privacy as possible.
Whatever the motivation may be…the interest in having anonymous works enter the marketplace of ideas unquestionably outweighs any public interest in requiring disclosure as a condition of entry.
Accordingly, an author’s decision to remain anonymous, like other decisions concerning omissions or additions to the content of a publication, is an aspect of the freedom of speech protected by the First Amendment.” (McIntyre v. Ohio Elections Comm)

4 thoughts on “Do I have a right to blog anonymously?

• November 11, 2014 at 12:56 pm

So there . . .

• November 11, 2014 at 1:33 pm

From Hank:
    I support the right for people to write anonymously and the right of editors to post such anonymous comments.
    As the executive officer of a police department I had initiated low key investigations when I received anonymous complaints about police officers. Such complaints also prompted me to respond with a low key inspection and control procedure on named officers. Nothing concerning an anonymous complaint went into the officer’s personnel file, but the Captain’s Inspection file did save anonymous complaints.
    Presently, there is the opportunity to respond to anonymous complaints on blogs, facebook and e mails to those who might be interested in the issue.
    I have concerns that a multiple of anonymous comments may give a false perspective of what the majority of people might be thinking about issues.
    I reserve the right not to post anonymous comments on my web site http://www.popdradiolog.com
     hank

• November 11, 2014 at 3:36 pm

If our posts were not anonymous..I think it’s safe to say that..half of the city employees in Port Orange would be out on their asses looking for other jobs and Kisella and his band of miscreants would still be running Port Orange for the Mayor. The truth came out even though we couldn’t confront these frauds face to face.

• November 11, 2014 at 3:39 pm

Well said, I dare say City Hall would be shocked if they knew who was making certain comments.