By Lacey McLaughlin
Published: Thursday, February 12, 2015 at 10:52 a.m.
Last Modified: Thursday, February 12, 2015 at 11:19 p.m.
PORT ORANGE — City officials have identified nearly $2 million in drainage projects to prevent flooding, but those projects won’t be eligible to receive funding from the Legislature this year.
As Port Orange identifies legislative priorities for the city’s lobbyist to tackle when the session begins March 3, Public Works Director Mike Silvey detailed at a workshop last month a one-to-two-year plan for drainage improvement projects in the city. But because those projects aren’t shovel-ready and lack engineering plans, they aren’t eligible for funding consideration by lawmakers.
Some City Council members were disappointed the projects hadn’t been identified sooner. Flood control became a priority for city leaders after 8 inches of rain fell in September, damaging 80 homes.
“Just to plan what we are talking about, we are about a year away from when we could get started on these projects,” Councilman Scott Stiltner said. “We need to get engineering work done so we can start these projects in six months.”
Councilman Don Burnette echoed Stiltner’s concerns.
“We are really behind the game this year,” Burnette said.
But without state or federal funding, it’s unclear how quickly the city could break ground on the projects listed in the plan.
Interim City Manager David Harden said staff moved as quickly as possible to identify problem areas after the September flood.
“It’s not possible to get projects ready that quickly,” Harden said. “We are going to try to find funding in our own budget to do this and explore the possibility of grants.”
read more via Port Orange too late to seek state aid for flooding | News-JournalOnline.com.
- Full Council Agenda for Feb. 17. 2015
- Is Anyone Meeting Their Fiduciary Responsibility ??