10 thoughts on “Should City of Port Orange be in the Restaurant & Banquet Business? | What do you think, Its your money ??

• April 8, 2015 at 5:14 pm

Thank you Ted Noftall for representing me and other bad citizens who want to keep taxes down in Port Orange. The Mayor who replied curtly to you that “yea,we (council) did– (understood you)” but I point out did nothing to validate your concerns then and now, does not represent me. Let me say again, this mayor does not represent me.
    The non response to your legitmate concern is what is wrong with this city council, and I mean everyone on the city council, including Ford, Stiltner ,Bastian and Burnette. If they think keeping the median green, having pumpkin festivals, or a banquet hall is more important than at least acknowleding concerns of citizens, what do we need them for? We have a banquet hall in the chamber of commerce and Chapel in the Garden. We have a banquet hall in the Lakeside Pavilion which I think had originally been named the Al Bell banquet hall. Up on L.I. the banquet halls have a reputation of being run by some shady characters. The mayor is construction, lives consturction, loves construction, politics construction, has family in construction, friends (La Cour he says is only an acquaintance) in construction, power, influence and money in construction. So Ted, I answer your question as to why we need another banquet hall in Port Orange. The question is, how come no city council member seems concerned about having us tax payers pay for this construction deal? Ford and Stiltner are putting up a show about cutting Kemper down to size just as they did with LaCour and his shotgun demand for 5 million dollars from the CRA for the condos he is building in a city park.
    It may be that we can still count on Ford to represent us, but Stiltner, Bastian, the Mayor and Burnette won’t ask the right questions. Stiltner and Bastian told us they did not want to ask the question that needed to be asked of halifax Paving before letting that company off the hook for the 1 million dollar bond which should have been called in when Halifax Paving did not honor its original contract. Instead, they did not ask the question which should have been asked, and let 1 million dollars misdirected from city coffers, and even extended the contract with Halifax Paving. This all despite that the state environmental agency is following closely this construction deal in the advent the state agency has to impose a heavy enviornmental fine on the citizens of Port Orange. Ted, the answer is CONSTRUCTION. The profession along with its engineers , consultants and what not, can almost always be found as a running background or flavor in many of our city problems. Let me add, construction in this Daytona Beach Area is paving the concrete way to more floods which are acts of God and people are told by this mayor to expect more of them. Indeed the homeowners and the Mayors’ investors can expect more flooding and I suspect more financial problems from this city administration. The city council should be terminated and get out of the way and let the city manager be elected by the people and solely reponsible and accountable to the tax payers. The city council is our foremost problem, when you consider that the city council has the ultimate responsibility for hiring and overseeing our former city managers and the real city manager we are yet to get.
    No one over in city hall deserves good luck to come there way. — hank

• April 8, 2015 at 10:00 pm

Should a Council member be comparing the City Manager to Hitler

• April 9, 2015 at 7:41 am

If you are referring to Councilman Ford he was making no such comparison.
    Bob was simply point out a near universal historical observation that when legislative bodies abandon their responsibilities the end result is tyranny from the executive.
    The system of government bequeathed to us by the founders framers and ratifiers of our Constitution was one of jealously guarded powers each checked and balanced by executive, legislative and Judaical bodies separated laterally and vertically.
    Port Orange government will be immensely improved once it embraces a Mayor/Council form of government and once it elects at least one other councilman with sufficient intelligence to engage Bob in a conversation on the dais.

• April 9, 2015 at 9:13 am

Ted,
    I am confused how has Bob Ford done anything? He consistently votes with the others even though you and many others on this site think he is going to suddenly turn around. What gives you that faith? He has shown no backbone to this point (Golf Course, flooding). He won’t take a stand on anything important and when he does it is only because the rest of the council will vote with him.
    This site swore to the people of Port Orange that Scott and Bob Ford would bring radical change to the council and as of yet it hasn’t I think you misjudged the people that you worked so hard to get elected and now they are not doing what you wanted them to do. The sad thing is that you need Bob Ford to be you and he is not!
    There were several items written how Bob was a man of Integrity and he would be the change that we need to lead Port Orange, and that electing him would be the best thing to happen. Has that happened? Has he voted at all the way you want him too? I just want to know why after all of these years you think that he is going to change?
    He was on the Council when the water meter issues happened, when the Finance Director “retired” and got his severance, when the Utilities department feel apart, and through all of that you still give him the benefit of the doubt? Did he speak out against any of that? Other than just say he is upset at what he saw. When are you going to start calling him out like you do the Mayor, and I mean calling him names and making fun of him? They have the same power on the council, no more no less.. Yet you refuse to call Bob Ford what he truly is a man who has been on council through all of this and has remained Neutral.
    I want you to start being critical of all of council not just the Mayor, Hank has come around and seen the truth now I think it is time you set your sites on Bob as well!

• April 10, 2015 at 7:31 pm

‘ Interesting, ‘ I believe you wrote a thoughtful piece deserving of a thoughtful reply. I had not done so until now and I apologize.
      You are correct in noting that I do not criticize Bob Ford to the extent I criticize the others.
      I do so because as a former President observed ‘ a person who votes with you 80% of the time is your political friend and that is likely as good as it is going to get ‘
      I believe Bob supports my causes more than 80% of the time, AND in those instances when the Mayor’s antics in attempting to silence public criticism have been most egregious Bob has never failed to thwart his efforts.
      I believe you are correct in your frustration that Port Orange has achieved little of substance in terms of the needed reform that became undeniably obvious in the spring of 2012 with the Public Works disclosures and again later that same year with the Water billing fiasco.
      Against that back drop of aimless incoherent dithering that has produced zero progress in achieving needed reform I would encourage you to redirect your post to Bob for a cohesive response as to his strategy – past and yet to come.
      I would also encourage you to pose equally succinct questions to Bastian and Stiltner and especially Burnette who has received a continual 4 1/2 year hall pass for his lack of any substantive action on anything beyond continually backing the Mayor’s play, and wasting $500,000 taxpayer dollars repositioning 2 ball fields from a younger age group to a slightly higher one to accommodate his own child.

• April 10, 2015 at 10:02 pm

Ted. This is one of the most logical, normal intelligent posts I have ever seen you post. Continue this way to be elected in 2016. Taking it down a notch suits your arguments.

• April 13, 2015 at 9:43 am

Jen, Are you remotely serious? Ted, elected? I just about fell out of my chair laughing. Ted has about as much chance of being elected as Elephants do of growing wings and flying. Ted’s past antics and ridiculous behavior have doomed him from ever being elected in Port Orange. But hey, it would be worth the laugh!

• April 13, 2015 at 4:49 pm

Get ready Wanna Bet because like it or not Ted is coming. Like all dinosaurs you and the rest of the Mayor’s cronies are likely to go extinct in the process. Bad for you but so so good for the taxpayers Ted has worked tirelessly to represent.

• April 11, 2015 at 6:33 am

THE MAYOR AND COUNCIL SHOULD NOT BE IN ANY TYPE OF RESTAURANT BUSINESS….THEY CAN’ T EVEN TAKE CARE OF CITY BUSINESS. WHAT A MESS THIS TURNED OUT TO BE WITH NO END IN SIGHT. IT’S MORE THAN DISCOURAGING.

• April 12, 2015 at 3:07 pm

youall are crazy the city must be in the banquet business without the chamber and city helping with prime spots the private business could make a profit we can’t have a private business making money next thing someone will want to have a festival around city center that’s not run by family days and the chamber gang