Good morning Mayor Green,
On several occasions during Tuesday’s Council meeting you offered to answer any questions submitted to you.
I will take you up on that offer and ask the following questions regarding the Master Development Agreement for Riverwalk Marina and Riverboat entered into between the City of Port Orange and Riverwalk Marina LLC Halifax Partners LLC and Port Orange Riverwalk LLP. ( the Developer )
As the City is contemplating making major transfers of taxpayer assets to these entities on the representations that these entities can and will undertake a series of dubious actions it would seem only right and proper that that these questions not only be answered but that those answers be discussed in a public meeting.
1) Please disclose the ownership of Riverwalk Marina, LLC Halifax Partners LLC and Port Orange Riverwalk LLP
2) If City participation in this agreement is advanced absent detailed disclosure regarding the ownership of these entities how are City residents to be assured that your family or friends or the family or friends of others on Council do not have a financial interest in the parties to this Agreement.
3) Please disclose the financial condition and borrowing capability of these entities.
4) Please disclose the financing arrangement that have been secured by the Developer to construct the promised condo towers and restaurant.
5) Please disclose all projects of a similar nature as proposed in Riverwalk that were started and completed by these entities.
6) Why was Port Orange Riverwalk LLP not a party to the 2nd Amendment to the Master Development Agreement for Riverwalk Marina and Riverboat
7) Please explain the financial impact the departure of Port Orange Riverwalk LLP and the $500,000 balloon payment due Ken Mcgurn have on this project.
8) What are the Developers plans for acquiring other US1 properties necessary for the completion of this project
9) Are you aware of any restaurants or marinas beyond those proposed in Riverwalk that require a several hundred foot walk to get to those establishments.
10) Did the City follow its own policy regarding Riverwalk Public Hearings and if it did not will you assure City residents that the 2 recent Riverwalk hearings will be re-held
11) Can you explain how taxpayer interests are advanced by not having the City own the main walk way in Riverwalk Park.
12) What Quid pro quo are taxpayers to receive in exchange for restoring commercial rights to the point that is currently zoned conservation and recreation.
13) If this project is really viable, why after all the concessions taxpayers are conceding is the City expected to further sign an ” Economic Development Incentive Agreement ” with the Developer AND WHY does that agreement and the ” Property Exchange Agreement ” have super easy button Assignment Clauses.
The information requested above has not been disclosed to date and as a result this ever changing project in which taxpayers are expected to contribute heavily is roundly detested.
For example I have recently come to understand that as kooky as it sounds – the City is expected to:
Transfer ownership of Halifax Dr ( north of Dunlawton Ave ) to the Developer IN RETURN for the Developer maintaining the former road way as a walk way.
Transfer ownership of the Funeral Home property ( that it paid in excess of $ 800,000 to acquire ) to the Developer IN RETURN for the Developer granting the City a 20 ft easement on that walk way.
Re-zone the point from its park recreational and conservation zoning to commercial to allow the Developer to construct a restaurant smack dab in the middle of a park that is costing taxpayers millions of dollars to construct IN RETURN for ?????
Mayor unless you have bullet proof explanations for this whole arrangement — THEN THIS ARRANGEMENT NEEDS TO BE SLOWED DOWN UNTIL TAXPAYERS CAN BE ASSURED THAT THEIR BEST INTERESTS ARE BEING ADVANCED.
If you do otherwise I fear it will be difficult for City residents to conclude other than this is a cram and jam that you and Councilman Burnette want concluded before the election.
If the 2016 elections are demonstrating it is that the people no longer trust long serving politicians and their administrations. Your comments at Tuesday evenings meeting at the 26:45 mark that you ” know how we got the Developer in this thing over 20 years ago — with commitments. We Made Commitments “ is a prime example of what has caused that mistrust.
Mr. Mayor the extent of those taxpayer commitments have been shrouded in secrecy for over 20 years. Were they written commitments or were they verbal, AND are they subject to limitless irradiations as the developer struggles to find a plan that best suits his pocketbook. This secrecy needs to stop here and now.
If you are un-clear as to the information I am seeking in any of these questions you may call me at 566-1424 and I will attempt to clarify same
Candidate for Mayor
City of Port Orange